Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 14: Museum

That night, Ed received a visitor in his bedroom. He woke up feeling cold and dread.

When he looked up, he saw a being standing beside his bed, dressed in a black cloak. The being looked at him from within the blackness of its hood. Ed couldn’t see its face.

“Hello?” said Ed.

“You are Ed?” asked the being. The voice sounded grating, as though not used often.

“Yes, that’s me. Did you come for my help? You could visit me during the day.”

The being groaned, as if his breathing was difficult. It left Ed cold and shivering.

Ed realized the being wasn’t leaving. He rolled over and got out of his bed, trying to keep his distance. He put on his slippers and a dressing gown.

“Ok, I’m up now. What is it you need? Do you have unfinished business?” Ed tried to shake off the chilly feeling and address the issue.

“You’re interfering with my business. I am the one to gather souls.”

There was malice in those words.

“Oh yes? And how am I interfering?”

“You saved the one known as Ellen. She was due to depart this realm.”

“But she wasn’t dead. She was in a coma,” he said.

The being groaned again. It rattled Ed deep in his core.

“I didn’t know you had a claim on her. I’m sorry.”

The being groaned again. Ed wasn’t sleeping after this.

“Look, I can’t undo what’s done. She lives. You’ll have to come back later,” said Ed.

The being groaned yet again. Ed gathered it wasn’t used to hearing no.

“Since the accident, I’ve helped souls to resolve their unfinished business,” said Ed. “Which means they were ready to move on. In that way, I’m helping you. You should thank me rather than complain.”

The being advanced ominously towards Ed and reached out with skeletal hands. Fear gripped Ed, and he couldn’t move. Somehow, he knew their touch meant death.

Just as Ed expected to die, something happened. A pale blue light covered Ed where the skeletal hands tried to touch him. A barrier that blocked and saved his life.

The being groaned loudly in frustration and pushed hard against the barrier. Ed struggled to remain standing. He was uncertain how long the barrier would protect him.

Then, the being was gone. Ed stood there in a cold sweat. This was more scary than anything that happened since he got mugged.

Ed stumbled on shaky legs to the kitchen, turning on all the lights as he went. He put on a kettle to boil. His plan involved hot chocolate and reading. Sleep was out of the question now.


The next day, Ed was working on bug fixes. He felt rather tired from last night, but he focused on fixing bugs.

One such bug involved some old code that depended on certain variables to exist. One day, a situation caused those variables not to exist.

His phone rang. He didn’t recognize the number.

“Hello?” he asked.

“Ed, this is Kakra from the museum. Would you have time to meet me?”

“Sure, after I get off work.”

They worked out when and where to meet before he hung up. Then Ed returned to his bug fixes.

Later, he got another phone call.

“Hello?” he asked.

“Hello, Ed. This is Washta. There’s another gathering on Friday this week, and you’re invited. The usual place and time.”

“Oh, of course. Can I bring a guest?”

Ed thought perhaps Ellen would like to attend with him. Both she and the Duwamish knew his secret and were okay with it.

“Sure!”

“I’ll see you there.”

Ed hung up the call. He was getting busy. He rarely ever got phone calls, and today he had two.

Ed called Ellen.

“Hello?”

“It’s Ed. Can we talk for a minute?”

“Sure, Ed. I don’t have an update for you on that issue yet.”

It felt good to hear her voice. He remembered the conversation last night. She should be dead.

“It’s not about that, thanks. Are you free on Friday evening? There’s a Duwamish gathering I’m going to, and I’d like to take you with me.”

“Oh wow! Is this a date?”

“Um, rather, we’re two friends going out together. There’s food and entertainment provided.”

“It sounds like a date (chuckle).”

“You share a commonality with the tribe. You both know I can talk with spirits, and you’re cool with it. You can compare notes.”

“True. It would be fun to talk with others who know of your gift. Will you pick me up from my place or do you want me to meet you somewhere?”

They worked out the details for the non-date before Ed hung up the call.


At the end of work, Ed closed down his computer. He said goodnight to Blake and left for his car. Along the way, Ed watched out for muggers, but found none.

He drove from work to the museum and parked on the street nearby. Then he exited his car and walked to a nearby coffee shop.

Kakra was sitting at a table waiting for Ed. She smiled when she saw him.

“Hello. Can I get you anything?” he asked.

“I already have a coffee.”

Ed went to the counter and purchased a coffee and returned to Kakra.

“Thank you for meeting with me,” she said.

“No problem. What’s up?”

“I know how to release the mummy from its curse. I need your help.”

“That’s good. But why now? I thought he’d be a source of valuable information for you.”

“That’s what I thought at first. But he has seen thousands of years of torture. I need to set him free.”

“Okay.”

“But there’s a danger. Just one touch from the mummy can kill.”

“Ouch! Do you have a plan?” asked Ed.

“Yes. There’s a small hidden door with a jar containing his remains. We must distract the mummy long enough to break in and remove the jar.”

“And you know where the door is?”

“It’s near the foot of the sarcophagus. When anyone tries to touch the sarcophagus, the mummy appears by the door. Then it attacks whoever tried to touch it.”

“And because others can’t see the mummy, they don’t realize they’re in danger?”

“Yes. That’s why many people have died. The curse compels the mummy to defend the sarcophagus.”

“So, if I approach the foot end, the mummy would materialize right in front of me. I’d be dead!” said Ed.

“Yes. I need you to approach near the head of the sarcophagus. Once the mummy appears and moves towards you, I can sneak in and open the hidden door.”

“What if the door won’t open?”

“You can see the mummy, and you move away from it. Don’t let it get close enough to touch you!”

“We need to do this outside of open hours. We can’t have someone else get caught by the mummy,” said Ed.

“Agreed. I was hoping you’d be available tonight.”

“Once you get his remains, then what?”

“We must burn his remains. It will release the curse, and the mummy will be free,” she said.

“You need a trash can, some fuel, and a light,” said Ed. “We’ll burn the remains immediately, or else we’re in trouble.”

“I will have them ready tonight.”

“After millennia, the door could be stuck. You may need to break it in. Are you prepared to damage a priceless sarcophagus?” asked Ed.

“I must. The curse tortures the mummy. He has killed many. It has to end.”

“As long as you’re prepared to do what’s necessary.”

“I have a large hammer. I’ll also disable the cameras in that area.”

“Good. I don’t want to end up in prison either.”

“Alright. We’ve got a plan.”

“Meet me in two hours at the side entrance on 2nd ave.”

“Will do.”


Two hours later, Ed arrived at the museum side entrance. He stood outside, waiting, since pressing a door bell would alert more than Kakra.

Soon, the door opened and Kakra peered out.

“Ah, you’re on time. Please come in, Ed.”

Ed followed Kakra to the hall with the sarcophagus in it.

“I see you have the trash can and the equipment ready,” said Ed.

“The cameras are off in this section. We’re ready to begin.”

From behind the barrier, Ed studied the foot end of the sarcophagus. He couldn’t see the door that contained the mummy’s remains. Hopefully, Kakra would find it.

“So, you want me to approach the head end of the sarcophagus?” asked Ed.

“Yes. I can’t get close until you lure the mummy away from the door.”

Kakra gave Ed a pair of surgical gloves and put on a pair herself.

“Best be careful,” she said. Then she put on a face mask.

Ed walked around to the head end. He looked back at Kakra.

“Ready?”

“Yes.”

Ed ducked under the barrier and approached the sarcophagus, searching for the mummy. He reached out a hand to touch the sarcophagus.

At once, the mummy appeared near the other end. It was about six feet tall, and covered in bandages. It raised its arms towards Ed and ambled around the side. The look on its face told Ed the mummy was pursuing him.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close